Make a real difference to the people in your community. Become an Accredited Mental Health First Aider.
In any one year, approximately 1 in 5 Australians aged 16-85 have a common mental illness. Evidence suggests that Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people experience this at a higher rate. Mental Health First Aid training will teach you practical skills to assist adults who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
Learn practical first aid skills such as:
- Recognise common mental health problems affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Provide initial support using a practical, evidence-based Action Plan
- Seek appropriate professional support
- Respond in a crisis situation
This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals.
- Depression and anxiety
- Substance use problems
- Mental health crises covered
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviours
This is a 14-hour educational course, not a therapy or support group.