Lay the foundations for a career in the construction industry.
The Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pathway - Trades) is a pre-vocational course for learners seeking a career in a construction trade. The first stage of the course is common to 11 construction trades and provides an introduction into the industry, its culture, occupations, job roles and workplace expectations.
The units of competency cover essential occupational health and safety requirements, the industrial and work organisation structure, communication skills, work planning, and basic use of tools and materials. Learners are able to consider the 11 trades during the initial stage and while attending work experience. The latter stage of the course provides the learner with a choice to complete specific competencies from a particular trade stream that lead directly into a trade qualification, with full articulation and credit transfer, when seeking an apprenticeship.
Please note: This course is only available to students still attending school, under the VET delivered to secondary students program.
Introduction into the building and construction industry and pathway into a building apprenticeship.
Please note: Students must be engaged in a training contract with an employer in order to undertake the Certificate III in Carpentry or Certificate III in Carpentry and Joinery, which are apprenticeship-only courses.
Estimated course fee
Estimated concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.