Join the dynamic hospitality industry.
If you want to work your way up the hospitality ladder, then this course is a great place to start. This entry-level qualification provides basic operational hospitality skills and is suitable for someone new to the industry.
You will learn about food and beverage preparation, serving coffee and non-alcoholic beverages, interacting with customers and undertaking social and cultural sensitivity. You will also have the opportunity to specialise in a particular area of the hospitality industry, such as accommodation, administration, customer service, kitchen operations, computer operations, food and beverage, finance, gaming or inventory through your selection of elective units.
Throughout this course, you will gain skills in:
- Food and beverage preparation
- Sourcing and using information within the hospitality industry
- Interacting with customers
- Working safely and effectively as part of a team
- Showing social and cultural sensitivity
- You are a newly appointed hospitality worker with basic experience
- You wish to build on existing food service preparation, cleanliness and customer skills
- You are seeking employment or looking to change employment pathways
- You have a keen interest in the hospitality industry
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills initiative, from 1 January 2020 through to 31 December 2025 you'll only pay half the tuition fees (plus resource fee) capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. For full details see our Half price courses page.
^ You will pay half price for the course fees on the Lower fees, local skills courses, however other fees may apply such as for resources that are specifically needed for your training.
Not all units and study modes are offered at all campuses. Please check with your local campus.
An updated version of this qualification is being introduced in 2023. As we are committed to providing you with industry ready qualifications, new students will be enrolled into the latest version.
This qualification prepares you for roles such as:
- Bar or café attendant
- Catering or front office assistant
Job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
For more information about job and career pathways, visit JobOutlook(opens in a new tab) or Jobs and Skills WA(opens in a new tab) .
Delivery locations and study options
Available all year
|When||Available all year|
Fitzroy Crossing Campus
Halls Creek Campus
Our estimated fees are based on:
- Full time study in 2023
- A selection of elective units designed to meet local industry demand for skills (different unit selections will attract different fees)
- For more information regarding eligibility and fees, please visit DTWD website
These fees are estimates only and depend on your eligibility for government funding, concession rates, the units you choose to study or seek to be recognised under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Additional resource, material and/or equipment costs may apply. Visit our Fees and Charges page for more information, including on consumer rights.