Take the first step in your fitness career.
The Certificate III in Fitness provides participants with the skills to work as a fitness instructor, planning and conducting fitness programs and group exercise regimes. Participants will learn about the role of fitness instructors and gain an overview of work in the industry.
Participants will learn how to:
- Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific groups or individuals
- Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- Provide healthy eating information
- Maintain equipment for activities
- Analyse risks and respond to emergency situations
As part of this qualification, participants are required to undertake a supervised work placement where there will be able to apply the skills and knowledge learned.
An updated version of this qualification is being introduced in 2023. As we are committed to providing you with industry ready qualifications, new students will be enrolled into the latest version.
- Understanding anatomy, physiology and human movements (biomechanics)
- Exercise planning
- Client fitness assessments
- Providing gym equipment support and technique correction
- Customer support
- you are school leaver who has pursued physical education and sports coaching pathways (VET / ATAR subjects)
- you are an adult requiring fitness qualifications and registration to Fitness Australia/AusActive/PAA to work in the industry
- you are a recreation and sports personnel who would like to gain fitness qualification and registration for improved employment prospects
- you have
university pathway interests in Sport & Exercise Science or Education
- OLNA Completion or Year 10 completion – English C Grade
- Students should have an interest in gym-based exercise and physical based activities for demonstration purposes.
- Students need to be over the age of 16
- Working with Childrens card must be obtained
- You may require a current first aid and annual CPR training and assessment
Throughout this qualification you will complete 20 weeks of 3 hours per week work placement at an approved industry workplace.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a fitness instructor in settings such as fitness facilities, gyms, and leisure and community centres. It is a prerequisite for a pathway into the Certificate IV in Fitness - Personal Trainer qualification.
It also allows you to enrol in higher qualifications and alternative pathways such as Certificate IV in Sports Development or Sport and Recreation.
Delivery locations and study options
Available all year
|When||Available all year|
Our estimated fees are based on:
- Full time study in 2022
- A selection of elective units designed to meet local industry demand for skills (different unit selections will attract different fees)
- The government rate for Australian Citizens over the age of 18, permanent visa holders, visa sub-class 309, 444, 820 or a 457 dependent visa
These fees are estimates only and depend on your eligibility for government funding, concession rates, the units you choose to study or seek to be recognised under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Additional resource, material and/or equipment costs may apply. Visit our Fees and Charges page for more information, including on consumer rights.