Take the next step in your fitness journey. Become a personal trainer.
The Certificate IV in Fitness enables participants to work as a qualified personal trainer. Upon successful completion, participants will have specialist skills to train individual or groups of clients on a one-on-one or group basis to improve health-related components of fitness.
Participants will learn how to:
- Plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training
- Provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff
- Deal with unpredictable situations applying defined guidelines and procedures from the fitness industry and relevant organisation
- Monitor and manage business activities in order to operate efficiently and profitably
This qualification provides a pathway to work in a diversity of fitness industry businesses including fitness centres, gyms, aquatic facilities, community facilities and in open spaces.
An updated version of this qualification is being introduced in 2023. As we are committed to providing you with industry ready qualifications, new students will be enrolled into the latest version.
- Understanding anatomy, physiology and human movements (biomechanics)
- Exercise planning
- Client fitness assessments
- Providing gym equipment support and technique correction
- Customer support
- You have completed the pre-requisite units for entry to Certificate IV in Fitness (e.g. those who completed the Certificate III in Fitness) and wish to continue learning or gain the formal qualification “Personal Trainer”.
- You are a student who is interested in gaining a basic understanding to follow on with a university pathway in Sport & Exercise Science or Education.
Entry to this qualification is open to individuals who hold the following units of competency or units that have been superseded by these units:
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid (or a unit that supersedes this unit)
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- SISFFIT032 Complete pre-exercise screening and service orientation
- SISFFIT033 Complete client fitness assessments
- SISFFIT035 Plan group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT036 Instruct group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT040 Develop and instruct gym-based exercise programs for individual clients
- SISFFIT047 Use anatomy and physiology knowledge to support safe and effective exercise
- Certificate III in Fitness – see “other important information”
- OLNA Completion or Year 10 completion – English C Grade
- Students who are over the age of 16
As part of this qualification, participants are required to undertake a supervised work placement where they will be able to apply the skills and knowledge learned. For all learners the program will incorporate a work placement of a minimum of 48 hours
- Students can use this as entry to further University studies including qualifications such as Sports Science / Education and Human Movement
Delivery locations and study options
Available all year
|When||Available all year|
Our estimated fees are based on:
- Full time study in 2022
- A selection of elective units designed to meet local industry demand for skills (different unit selections will attract different fees)
- The government rate for Australian Citizens over the age of 18, permanent visa holders, visa sub-class 309, 444, 820 or a 457 dependent visa
These fees are estimates only and depend on your eligibility for government funding, concession rates, the units you choose to study or seek to be recognised under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Additional resource, material and/or equipment costs may apply. Visit our Fees and Charges page for more information, including on consumer rights.