Learn the basics of marine engineering.
This Coxswain Engineering Skill Set is a mandatory requirement in the Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 near Coastal) qualification. This skill set is an intensive three-day course introducing basic marine engineering.
During this course, participants will learn how to:
- Operate and service small vessel propulsion systems including diesel and petrol engines, cooling systems and lubrication systems
- Undertake pre-start checks, routine checks, fault finding, shutdown procedures
- Operate and service auxiliary systems including steering systems, emergency steering, rudders, bilges systems, manifold systems and valves
- Operate deck machinery, anchor windlass, winches
- Maintain and service marine extra low and low voltage electrical systems
- Carry out refuelling and fuel transfer operations.
This course will provide participants with the ability to maintain machinery, troubleshoot and identify potential problems, as well as service machinery according to manufacturers' schedules.