Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
The Elements of Shipboard Safety Skill Set forms a crucial part of all maritime qualifications offered from Coxswain Grade II, Coxswain, Master 24 and MED II. This three-day course covers all of the important emergency procedures required to survive at sea if disaster strikes. The course is intensive, rigorous and physically demanding.
Participants will learn how to:
- Swim short distances while fully clothed and wearing shoes without the aid of a life jacket
- Launch a life raft, right an inverted life-raft, climb into the life raft and assist other survivors
- Successfully use flares, EPRIBS and other emergency equipment
- Follow evacuation procedures to abandon ship and use survival techniques such as HELP (Heat Escape Lessening Position)
- Use correct fire extinguisher to extinguish a fire type such as oil fire, electrical fire or plastic fire
- Understand and practice OS&H workplace procedures