The North West cattle industry provides a vast area of employment for young stockmen and women from all over WA.
The Certificate II in Rural Operations is an entry-level course suitable for students who wish to try their hand in the cattle industry. Students will undertake a combination of written assignments and hands-on industry tasks including fencing, tractor operations, cattle processing and mustering in teams.
Students will gain skills in machine operation and maintenance and horse husbandry. This qualification can lead participants on an exciting path from stockman, to head stockman and eventually, station manager.
This course is available at other campus locations upon request.
The Connecting with Country program is a unique opportunity for students to develop knowledge and skills in horticulture and land management relevant to the local region, while undertaking a Certificate II in Rural Operations. The program runs for three days per week and provides practical skills and experience in:
- Propagating seedlings, striking cuttings, potting up and caring for nursery plants
- Preparing and establishing an organic vegetable patch
- Installing and maintaining irrigation
- Operating machinery and equipment
- Recognising plants
- Growing bush foods
- Maintaining and enhancing natural areas
- Promoting the local natural environment
Training is delivered at the Broome campus nursery, vegetable garden, campus classrooms and the Balu Buru site at 12 Mile. Scholarship opportunities are available periodically for this course. For more information, please click here.
Delivery locations and study options
Available all year
|When||Available all year|
Fitzroy Crossing Campus
Halls Creek Campus
Still in school
Our estimated fees are based on:
- Full time study in 2022
- A selection of elective units designed to meet local industry demand for skills (different unit selections will attract different fees)
- The government rate for Australian Citizens over the age of 18, permanent visa holders, visa sub-class 309, 444, 820 or a 457 dependent visa
These fees are estimates only and depend on your eligibility for government funding, concession rates, the units you choose to study or seek to be recognised under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Additional resource, material and/or equipment costs may apply. Visit our Fees and Charges page for more information, including on consumer rights.