Aboriginal Training Services support
NR TAFE’s Aboriginal Training Support (ATS) team are dedicated to Aboriginal advancement toward equity with the broader Kimberley and Pilbara communities.
ATS staff are located at each of our campuses. We can also provide services in communities across all regions where training is being delivered.
The three guiding principles the ATS team work towards achieving for current and prospective Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) students are Attraction, Retention and Completion. The team has identified vast strategies and actions to maintain ongoing continuity of quality ATSI student support services, while also ensuring the provision of culturally-appropriate training service delivery needs are being consistently met and delivered for Indigenous clientele throughout the North West.
The team’s mission is to ensure best practice student training and employment support services to Aboriginal people of all ages who aspire to improve life circumstances for themselves, their families and their community through education, training and participation in the workforce.
Download the Aboriginal Training Services Support (6 MB) (PDF document) flyer.
- Assistance with study and talking to lecturers
- In-class support, both academic and practical
- Mentoring, tutor support and career counselling
- The Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS)
- Informal Counselling and Mentoring
- Liaison with Centrelink, Abstudy, Job Services Remote Jobs and Communities Program and other service providers
- Assistance arranging accommodation, transport if eligible and study support resources such as work wear, protective equipment and learning aids
- Referrals or information about other services such as financial counselling, childcare and health needs
- Advice on culturally appropriate learning methods and environments within NR TAFE
- Tailored services to external agencies and employers
- Consultation with Aboriginal communities and organisations to identify community development projects and negotiated training plans to address unique local needs.
All ATS staff employ collaborative work practices within NR TAFE and with external stakeholders to achieve the best possible training and employment and outcomes for ATSI students.
Disability support services
NR TAFE is committed to providing access and equity of participation for students with a disability. Our Disability Support Coordinator can provide information and advice, discuss requirements for reasonable adjustment support, assistive equipment and technologies, interpreters and in-class tutorial support.
Students are encouraged to make contact with the Disability Support Coordinator and lecturer about the impact of their disability, impairment or medical condition to assist in determining what support will be needed while undertaking their course. All information given will be treated confidentially.
Download the Disability Support Services (541 KB) (PDF document) flyer.
Literacy, numeracy and study support
Literacy and numeracy support is available to all students once they have enrolled in a vocational qualification. This assists students to complete the qualification they are enrolled in by providing support with the reading, writing and numbers components of the course.
52823WA Course in Applied Vocational Study Skills (CAVSS) and 52832WA Underpinning Skills for Industry Qualifications (USIQ) are free courses available for any group of vocational students with an identified need for additional educational support, who are studying from any training package or other vocational qualification at any Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level.
CAVSS and USIQ is not available for students enrolled in courses that appear on the Foundation Skills or Equity Course lists. It is also only available for those in the VET delivered to secondary students program and those part of an Aboriginal school-based training (ASBT) program at a Fee For Service rate.
Additional support is provided to students to help them build underpinning skills that they need to engage with their vocational studies.
This support may be:
- A pre-vocational training program
- An additional lecturer in-class, working alongside the vocational lecturer
- Additional tutorial sessions
Ask us about how to access CAVSS and USIQ support!
Assistance is available to students who have special needs, require additional support to undertake a literacy and numeracy course or require language support to undertake an English course.
NR TAFE also offers International English Language Testing System (IELTS) preparation training (for both General and Academic IELTS tests) and a subsequent test centre for students to sit the IELTS exam with the University of Western Australia. Ask us about our English and special needs support.
Each year we offer International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and English as a Second Language classes both online and face-to-face.