Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
The Chemical Handling Skill Set is crucial to a broad range of outside activities offered in horticulture, agriculture, and conservation and land management.
This course covers all of the important procedures required to apply chemicals safely on plants using small portable handheld sprayers.
Students will learn how to:
- Identify the level of pest infestation and assess the need for chemical control
- Source information on Integrated Pest Management
- Identify potential hazards, assess risks, and implement control measures
- Select appropriate PPE for the chemical
- Interpret chemical labels and SDSs
- Calibrate equipment
- Mix chemicals accurately and according to their registered use
- Apply chemicals minimising spray drift
- Transport and handle chemicals complying with legislative requirements
- Store chemicals correctly and maintain inventory
- Treat chemical spills
- Dispose of any chemicals correctly and decontaminate equipment
- Complete application records
Completion of this course will enable participants to apply for the WA Department of Health’s Lawn and Gardening, Landscaping, Bushland & Minesite Rehabilitation licence. Please visit www.health.wa.gov.au for further details.
What to bring:
- Long sleeved shirt
- Long pants
- Washable hat
- Lunch and water
- Optional change of clothes for day two
Students studying in Broome:
From March 2019, students studying in Broome will complete the theory component of the course online in their own time. This reduces face to face delivery from three days to two, enabling full time employees to take less time off of work. Students must enrol at least two weeks prior to course commencement in order to access and complete the online component.