Semester 2 2021 applications are now open!
Provide the right care to those in need.
The Diploma of Nursing provides participants with the practical skills and knowledge to work as an enrolled nurse. Upon successful completion, participants will have the skills to assist in the provision of preventative, curative and rehabilitative nursing, and will be able to seek enrolled nursing registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
Participants will learn about:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Infection control
- Nursing care of clients
- Legal and ethical parameters of nursing practice
- Health issues of Indigenous Australians
- Nutritional and mental health care
- Promoting positive health.
Please note: Participants will need to complete a mandatory 440 hours of clinical placement, and attendance at two one-week blocks at Pundulmurra campus in South Hedland each semester. Clinical placements are required to be undertaken in Hedland/Karratha and in Perth, as part of the course.
Continue your studies into university through our joint articulation program!
Students who successfully complete NR TAFE's Diploma of Nursing are offered a direct pathway into CQUniversity Australia's Bachelor of Nursing, receiving full credit for their enrolled nursing training. Speak to us about progressing into university studies via the articulation program.
Learn more about the Bachelor of Nursing!
To gain entry into the Diploma of Nursing, there are two distinct requirements that need to be met.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they meet the minimum LLN entry requirements, demonstrating achievement of an Australian Core Skills Framework Exit Level 3 as a minimum. There are two ways to meet this entrance requirement.
The Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) is an interactive online tool designed to identify and measure an individual's foundation skills level. Participants who undertake this assessment must have an exit level three against the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy.
If your primary language in English and you completed year 12 in 2020 with either ATAR of general studies and achieved a minimum grade of C in English and a minimum grade of C in mathematics, please provide a copy of your year 12 Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) or equivalent certificate.
Non-school leaver (all other applicants)
All other non-school leaver applicants must complete the Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA). Details of the dates and times for the test and the test location will be advised during the application process.
Applicants must also provide evidence that they have met the minimum English Language Competency set out by the NMBA prior to commencing in the Diploma of Nursing.
What do I need to do?
You need to have met one of the following criteria:
- At admission to the program the applicant has English as their primary language and can demonstrate they have attended and satisfactory completed at least six years of primary and secondary education (at least two years must be between years 7 to 12) taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised English speaking countries that meet the NMBA requirements, These countries are: New Zealand, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Canada (excluding French Canadian territories), Republic of Ireland and South Africa.
- At the time of applying to study in the Diploma of Nursing the applicant must be able to provide evidence that they have evidence of three and a half (3.5) years (full time equivalent) of education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries. This would then satisfy the NMBA registration requirements which states that: “At time when applying for NMBA registration as an EN Graduate, the graduate must be able to demonstrate that they can provide evidence of five (5) years (fulltime equivalent) of education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries”. The completion of the full time equivalent education must be a combination of the following taught in a recognised country.
- Demonstrated minimum scores in one of the following English Language Tests, IELTS, OET, PTE Academic, TOEFL iBT. The scores must be from one sitting. For students who have test results from multiple sittings, please refer to NMBA Registration Standard: English Language Skills (July 2015)
As well as meeting the entry requirements, students must also be able to obtain the below mentioned to be eligible to commence in the Diploma of Nursing. If you cannot obtain the following, you will be ineligible to attend clinical placements, therefore ineligible to commence in the Diploma of Nursing program.
- Criminal clearance valid within 12 months of this application
- Pre-entry medical exam (documents will be provided upon successful entry into the program)
Semester 2 2021 applications are now open!
Estimated course fee
Estimated concession fee
These fees are estimates only and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis.
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons (in 2021, students born on or after 1 July 2003 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum course fee chargeable in 2021 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms and students personal equipment.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses, or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education).
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.