Are you ready to pursue a career at sea?
The Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) entitles certificate holders to:
- Command a vessel less than 12m in length that is not carrying passengers and has less than 100kw of power for an inboard engine (however outboards are unlimited).
- Operate a vessel in sheltered waters or as a tender within 3m of a parent vessel or from an aquaculture lease.
This qualification is delivered in skill sets, enabling flexibility for students and the ability to articulate across qualifications.
To attain this qualifications, participants can complete the following skill sets:
- Shipboard Safety
- Coxswain Vessel Operations and Environmental Practice
Participants will require the following text:
- Nautical Knowledge Coxswain SLG ABF521
- Elements of Shipboard Safety
This course is available at other campus locations upon request
Upon completion of a maritime qualification, participants must complete an AMSA mandated practical assessment - Coxswain AMPA. The National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part D - Crew Competencies requires that a seafarer pass a final assessment prior to the issue of a certificate of competency.
Delivery locations and study options
Available all year
|When||Available all year|
Our estimated fees are based on:
- Full time study in 2022
- A selection of elective units designed to meet local industry demand for skills (different unit selections will attract different fees)
- The government rate for Australian Citizens over the age of 18, permanent visa holders, visa sub-class 309, 444, 820 or a 457 dependent visa
These fees are estimates only and depend on your eligibility for government funding, concession rates, the units you choose to study or seek to be recognised under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Additional resource, material and/or equipment costs may apply. Visit our Fees and Charges page for more information, including on consumer rights.